House Rules – English Version
Characters – Local and Visiting
Each player can have one character per sect in the chronicle. In cases of scene conflicts, the player needs to opt for one of his characters only.
Every characters will follow the rules for chararacter creation explained in the Laws of the Night and Character Regulations Bylaws as well as proper packets. The Chronicle does NOT adopt the BNS system and characters that wishes to interact with the game in scenes that requires sheet must submit a Laws of the Night system sheet.
Aditionally every character must be previously approved by the ST staff before entering play, be it the background and the sheet. In regards to visiting character, the chronicle reserves the right to remove from the player’s sheet any power we consider unbalanced or whose origins is uncertain and not verified by the proper Coordinator offices.
The Chronicle of Ouro Preto considers that the character belongs to the player thus not allowing it to be turned into an NPC and transferred only as the player wishes, as long as it has the agreement of both involved chronicles and that it isn’t to escape consequences of their actions.
Online interactions requires that the staff be CCed or they will be disregarded. Sending the sheet to another chronicle must be done by the player with copy to the staff.
The control method for sheets in the chronicle is Puppet Prince, in the link http://puppetprince.com/chronicles/616-ouro-preto-by-night
Hard Proxy vs. Soft Proxy
As it is a personal horror game, scenes within the chronicle of Ouro Preto are all considered Hard Proxy, unless otherwise specified. That is, even a casual conversation can evolve into a tense scene (and with real risks), depending on the actions of the characters involved in relation to: other characters, NPCs and also the environment.
In addition, any use of a character’s sheet resources: Blood Magic, Astral Projection, etc., that interacts with PCs or NPCs within the territory of the chronicle or even with the environment, must be executed by a character into our territory . Ex: John the Gangrel, NPC of Ouro Preto and James the Ravnos, PC of another chronicle are talking next to a bonfire in the territory of Ouro Preto Game. Robert, a curious Tremere from another chronicle decides to use Scry to spy on the conversation. Robert must enter Ouro Preto territory, then perform the Ritual, otherwise the blood magic will fail.
This rule also applies to any type of Doppelgänger or Body Doubles.
According to OWbN rules, the maximum allowed for monthly XP is 8. The critera for winning experience are determined by the staff, based on activity and contribution of each player.
Sleep, Influences and Available Time
A character with humanity 5 wakes up as soon as the sun sets, with an hour of sleep more per each dot beneath the fifth. Characters with other morality paths, for waking effects, are considered as having Humanity 1. The time that the sun sets varries accoridng to the latitude year of Ouro Preto and will be consider accordingly.
For every ten points of influences in the character sheet, the character has one hour less during the evening if he does not have ghouls. However, when that time happens is in the player’s criteria.
Influences and Fame
The chronicle follows the Dark Epics rules for influence actions. The influence actions must be declared to the staff through the form https://docs.google.com/forms/
Fame: range of usage of influences and contacts.
0 – City-wide (Ouro Preto e other cities in the chronicle area)
1 – State (Minas Gerais)
2 – Region (Southeast)
3 – Country (Brazil)
4 – Close Continent (South America)
5 – Full Continent (Latin and North America included)
Influences from characters outside the chronicle have reduced effect as if it was a point less in the distance scale (state, region, national). Influences sent throught the Ventrue Directorate and similar organizations are exempt of this rule. Combined actions of influence can be performed.
|Resources||1 Permanent||All Permanents||1 Temporary||All Temporary|
Following the bellow progression:
Temporary Willpower are recovered at every 15 days or through interpreting the nature and demenor or still, according to staff consideration.
- Meditation: recovers 1 point of temporary willpower and may be used once a month.
- Awareness: Works as a static mental test against difficulty of 8 (to feel the presence of supernatrual creatures) or 10 (to feel the presence of any power or supernatural effect – the difficulty will be equal to the attribute of who activated the power should it be above 10). That does not mean you know the origin of the power or which one was used.
- Lores: To learn a level of lore you need a teacher with the intended lore level (Example: Someone with Lore Camarilla x3 may teach that to another character). To use a lore you need to buy it on the sheet, regardless of having heard it on lists or IC. The player that uses lores he does not have on his sheet will have all of his XP compromised to the lore purchase, not being able to spend it until he buys the equivalent of the ability he used. The search for a proper teacher is the player’s responsability.
- Transformations/Methamorphosis: Bonus for different transformations may not be accumulated unless the rule expressily allows it.
- Animalism: Quell lasts for a scene/hour (whatever ends first), is not a discrete power (the target knows that something happened as well as any witnesses). Prevents the spending of permanent willpower.
* “Passion” might give the Negative Traits of *Impacient or *Submissive. Should the target receives both traits, they cancel each other out.
* “The Haunting” has the same effect of Schizophrenia, graning two negative traits to willpower tests.
- Aegis: using Aegis prevents impalling.
- Kouldun: – Way of Spirit: works just as Astral Projection. To pay attention in something in the action range, you must focus your mind on it alone. All Ways work as a mental action with exception of the powers described as always active once learned.
- Blood Magic:
a) The maximum number of active powers in a given moment is equal to the level of the primary path x retest ability on the primary path. (Example: Path of Blood 4 x Occult 3 = 12 maximum active powers). Any and every item generated by blood magic is considered an active power. Stakes, blood beads, pavis, etc, each unit is one power. Wards are exception to this rule.
b) Rituals may only be used by the caster unless the description of the ritual allows differently.
c) Unless explicitly written, rituals must be renewed each nigth. Each ritual requires a test to be activated and take some time based upon the type of ritual: Basic (10 minutes), Intermediary (20 minutes), Advances (30 minutes). Failing the activation test consumes half the usual ritual time and must be restarted.
d) Stone of True Form: Only its creator is immune to its usage. Fabric does not prevent its activation.
e) Pavis of Foul Presence: Grants immunity to Presence but does not reflect its use.
f) Court of Hallowed Truth: the caster may weave the blood of another vampire into the ritual allowing them to act as judge for the benefits of the ritual
g) Personal objects for the purpose of rituals that requires it as component have to hold meaning to its owner. Intimate objects not always will qualify as personal objects. The STs reserves the right to veto objects used in this manner.
h) Soul Steal: the sould removed from the body may use any discipline that does not require the use of blood. In order to soul steal, the target must be touched (which may demand a physical test). Any damaged generated to the body causes the soul to return immediatly.
i) Blood Magic that deals with wraiths, natural spirits or any sort of similar entitiy, they are controlled by the ST of the scene, never by the character using the dicipline.
j) Giovannis are hated by wraiths unless they have the merit Reputation. As such, failure in necromancy tests have bad consequences.
k) Vampires with Humanity 3 or less only interact with banes, no natural/gaian/wyld spirit, unless some sort of cohercion is used.
l) Cauldron of Blood and other similar powers causes mortals to instantly die.
- Obfuscate: Animals just for being animals are not allowed to see through obfuscate.
- Presente: “Summon” will fail if the character knows they are in danger, regardless of the intentions of the one summoning (Example: Summoning a Camarilla member to a known sabbat held enclave will not work. Summoning a Camarilla member to a random house in the Camarilla territory for a boot party, migt)
- Quietus: the quantity of “charges” the weapon can carry is equal to the number of characteristics it grants. All unused charges are lost with the sunrise.
* Quietus x Magic: The silence generated by Quietus only prevents the execution of magic and powers that requires that a word, phrase or sound is heard by the target (Example: Curses, Voice of Madness, etc.).
* Venom: The venom produced by Quietus kills a mortal nearly instantly.
- Serpentis: “Form of the Cobra” works as described in “Faith and Fire”, spending one point of blood to active, lasting three rounnds to activate and granting a retest against grapple and the venon kills a mortal instantly (giving 7 of aggravated damage).
* “Shadow Play” gives you one retest for obfuscation and intimidation by its use. If the retest is used, it is needed to active the power again.
* The maximum number of tentacles to be created by “Arms of the Abyss” is equal to the level that the user has in occult or the proper retest.
The chronicle of Ouro Preto reserves itself the right to veto any player created power. Even if the purchase of the power by the character is authorized, that does not mean tacit approval for its use inside the chronicle. If there is any doubts regarding whether or not some power is accepted or not inside the chronicle, consult the staff, be it a chronicle player or visiting one.
Disciplinary Policy and Code of Conduct
Our disciplinary actions are:
b. XP punishment
- The irregular action will be progressively done in the order above though a higher degree of punishment might be directly given if the gravity of the action requires it. Some punishments may be cummulative.
- The chronicle considers as irregular actions any action that violates the rules of OWbN, Laws of the Night as well as other rules of civility and good conduct. The chronicle does not condone poor sportsmanship, any form of sexual, religious, gender or other type of prejudice as well as bullying (physical or cyber), abuse (physical, emotional or mental), cheating, persecution or any other bad behavior.
- Disruptive players will be invited to remove themselves from the chronicle.